An Intro to Comm Design.

A logo emphasizing bipartisanship, modernism, and traditional values for the New American Leaders Project.

Graphic Designer

September 2017 to October 2017


This project, my first exploration into graphic design in my first design class, was to help the New American Leaders Project reach a wider audience of minority participants in the program, older audiences for sponsorship and funding, and a naitonal audience of voters and supporters.


The most immediate action in this project was to find out the opinions on minority candidates from the most polar ends of the political spectrum. I chose two students at the University of North Texas with two completely different backgrounds. After my interviews, both candidates’ answers had nearly zero similarities. Thus, I decided that the logo should be as neutral as possible while still representing the values of the organization.


After my interviews, I needed to contextualize the space in which the logo would reside. That meant completing a competetive audit where I mapped out various organizations that would be competing with NALP for their prime audience.


Bubble maps, word lists, visual matrixes, and thumbnailing all helped me to combine ideas and generate a variety of images that I could use to narrow my thought process. This was the easiest part of the process for me because of my background in creating icons.


I had never paid much attention to text besides whatever new font Apple used that year - before this project. Creating a logo meant for millions to see, possibly altered or used as a symbol, taught me that glyphs were more than just a language. I tried out three fonts, focusing on modern, serif fonts that provided a combination of traditional and futuristic vibes.


Handrawing was not a strength of mine, but using this opportunity to practice, I learned how much it helps to visualize certain concepts and stimulate ideas for a high-fidelity prototype or final product.

Sketch and Scale

I eventually chose two logos to test at various scales. Deciding that each had its pros and cons in context, I combined both into a cohesive logo for my final submission.


Through a variety of worksheets, I adopted a creative process that helped me to organize my project rather than simply jumping to computer-generated design. The NALP logo encompassed research via interviews, textual and visual ideation, font and color exploration, and a refined final product. I learned to better organize my process, learning how to make my designs unique without sacrificing the client’s objectives.